The Referral Specialist will serve as primary referral personnel to provide a positive first contact to EyeCare Partners while projecting a professional telephone image through phone interaction. The Referral Specialist will demonstrate sensitivity to patient’s needs and Patient Privacy Act, as well as demonstrate superior telephone and interpersonal skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The following are general responsibilities associated with the job and are listed in order of greatest to least amount of time spent on the duties.
· Assist patients in scheduling of appointments based on individual needs and physician’s schedules while working closely with other departments and external physician’s offices to ensure smooth patient flow, including checking patient eligibility
· Handles all incoming and outgoing local referral networks and paper/faxed referrals while coordinating help from Patient Relations team members when needed.
· While incoming and outgoing referrals are the Referral Specialists primary responsibility, the Referral Specialist acts as backup to the Contact Center as needed. As determined by the Supervisor of Referrals or the Patient Relations Manager, the Referral Specialist will promptly answer, screen, and process calls to appropriate person(s) and/or department per protocol while determining management of emergent calls in accordance with company policy.
· Maintain patient chart demographics and Patient Portal for EMR software.
Respond to Live Chat and Cataract Self-Test inquiries.
Reply to and compose emails to team members as necessary.
· Work cooperatively with the Patient Relations Team to accomplish the goals of the department.
Work closely with provider liaison to establish and guarantee successful and efficient relationships with referring providers and offices.
Assist in Referral Department reporting and perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
Regular and recurrent predictable attendance is expected
Runs real time eligibility queries upon scheduling
Achieves and maintains performance to the following KPI’s / success factors
Incoming referral productivity: ≥ 23 referrals per day
Referral request turnaround: ≤ 1 day
Patient Satisfaction Rate: ≥0NPS
Answer calls and (other communication platforms) ≤ 1 minute 85%
Call Quality Audits: ≥ 80%
Job may require other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience: The minimum level of education and experience required to perform the job at a satisfactory level.
· High school diploma/GED with 1 to 3 years of medical office experience.
· Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
· A combination of experience in Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office, e-mail, and data entry.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: The minimum level of knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the job at a satisfactory level.
· Knowledge of EMR software a plus with typing skills at 50+ wpm, basic computer skills that include a combination of experience in Windows Operating System, Microsoft Office, e-mail, and data entry.
Ability to understand payor referral requirements to allow appropriate reimbursement
Ability to cogently communicate payor requirements and requisite information to referring providers
Professional verbal and written communication skills in a customer service setting.
Well organized with the ability to maintain accuracy and confidentiality.
Decision Making: Common decisions made in the job and the level of review or autonomy needed to finalize such decisions.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks with excellent problem-solving skills.
Work Environment: Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job.
General office conditions
Remote / work from home
Physical Requirements: Activities that are commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk and sometimes sit; use hands to type, handle, or feel objects or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
15933 Clayton Road, Ballwin, MO 63011 | 636.227.2600 | www.Eyecare-partners.com